Christopher Columbus Charter School
916 Christian Street
1242 S. 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
A Title I School
CCCS Admissions Policy
CCCS is represented by a very diverse population with African-American, Asians, Hispanics, and a variety of ethnic Caucasian groups. The school population and design shows that the wide diversity of the city youth can be served well at CCCS. “The school’s classroom populations will reflect the local and global society in which we live, and which our children will be a part of in in the 21st century.” (Original Charter Application, submitted in November, 1997.)
CCCS will provide an opportunity for all students in grades K-8 to register for enrollment. The school admits students in 4 sections of each grade level for Kindergarten through Grade 8. Kindergarten Intent to register forms are accepted up to January 30th. Grades 1-8 Intent to register forms are accepted until May 4, 2018. Intent to register packets MUST be completed in order to be considered.
If applications exceed space available, a lottery will be conducted as outlined below:
- Children of parents on the Founding Board or current Board of Directors – exempt from lottery
- Children of staff members who agree to continue their active support and commitment to CCCS – exempt from lottery
- Siblings of students currently enrolled as CCCS students will be admitted before any new family applicants – exempt from lottery
- CCCS lottery for Kindergarten will be held on February 15, 2018. Lottery will be held for grades 1-8 on June 29, 2018. All parents are notified via mail if their child is accepted OR added to a waiting list.
- Although not mandatory, a letter will be sent asking Kindergarten parents/guardians to attend an open house in May where important information will be collected. This information will be included in the acceptance letter. Those who choose not to attend must have important information in by May 3, 2017.
- Although not mandatory, a letter will be sent asking parents whose children are accepted in grades 1-8 to attend a meeting on July 10 – 11, 2018. Those who choose not to attend must have important information in by July 9, 2018. This information will be included in the acceptance letter.
- Although not mandatory, the Initial letter also requests that if the child has an IEP to contact the office of Rosemary Dougherty, CEO to schedule a time and place for a pscho-educational evaluation. This evaluation is completed over the summer in order to have the IEP in place by September.
Right to Amend
The principal retains the right to amend the handbook for just cause. Parents will be given prompt notification if changes are made.
CCCS does not discriminate against any child – all are considered equal regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, religion or beliefs.